To register and login, use your Google, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or OpenID credentials.

This is allowing us to stop most spam registrations. We've deleted most of the spam accounts that got through, and we're closely watching for more.

Xth sense on windows

DudeDude Posts: 15
edited September 2012 in Xth Sense: biophysical music

Hi there, I just want to find out if xth sense software works on PC. I have had trouble installing Pure Data on windows so can anyone advise me how to do this. I have Max/MSP on my PC so the question could be, does it work with Max/ MSP and if so how? Thanks

Answers

• Hey Dude..;-)

As I understand, there is no version of the software working directly on windows. The problem I see are the libs iemguts and soundhack, which have to be compiled under windows. Pd it self is working on windows... I tried that one http://puredata.info/downloads/pd-extended

I am interested in getting the xth sense to work on win as well...

I am posting on this if I worked something out.

regards chrs

• DudeDude Posts: 15

Thanks for the reply Chrs, will look into that as well and if anyone finds something, please let us know. I'm sure i read somewhere where it says, ;;with a bit of hacking, it can work on windows.
    Rgds

• Hey guys,
    yes, is as Chrs said. Well, only iemguts has to be compiled; the good news is that iemguts is included in the new pd-extended 0.43.1.
    So if you have that version of pd-ext you're good.
    For soundhack, go to the official soundhack download page, get the binaries for win, and follow my guidelines about moving the files:
    http://res.marcodonnarumma.com/projects/xth-sense/#download

yes, I've got a modded version of the Xth Sense for Windows. I'll try to put it on the download website in the upcoming days.
    however, please, be aware I don't have a Win machine to test things, so I cannot develop nor assure complete stability.
    Will let you know through this thread!

Max porting is on its way, but it's going to take some time, the process is complex.

cheers!
    M

• Hey marco.
    can you explain a bit what the difference in a windows version will be??
    Is it mainly that you have to transfer the xth-sense-lib into .dll Files using the PdLibraryTemplate and a windows toolchain (MinGw) ?? Or is there anything os-specific in the main program as well?
    If you can give some explanations on that I might do some work...especially testing on some windows machines..

Thanks Marco. Please let us know once you have done a windows version. I managed to get the windows version of PD- extended on http://puredata.info/downloads/pd-extended.

Hi Marco, any idea when you can have the windows version of Xth sense on the website. Thanks.

• marco_donnarummamarco_donnarumma Posts: 72 admin

hey Dude, great you managed.
    I'm cleaning up the files, should be up these days.

Will post an announcement here.

hey Chrs_taudt, well the only difference is about the lib iemguts.
    Although this is included in pd-extended 43.3 (not stable yet), it is not included in 42.5 (stable and the version on which the Xth Sense is tested).

iemguts is quite complex to compile on windows, and I don't have a machine to do that.
    In the Xth Sense iemguts deals with the dynamic tabs and the whole gui, so what I have is a version that works without the fancy tabs, but instead has lots of popup windows, which unfortunately does not provide the same comfy experience than the original software.

If you want, you can try have a go to compile iemguts on windows. But, as I said, this is included in the newer (yet not stable) version of Pd-extended.

Thanks Marco, 'll look forward to that.

• Hey Dude, I've sent you an email with an experimental version of it. Have you got it working?

• hey marco,

can you send me that experimental version as well?

• yep, just sent it! didnt do it before because it needs testing! so be careful. :)

Hi Marco, I saw the version, only thing now is im waiting for the biophysical device and will let you know how it goes once i do. cheers.

• Hey Marco.

As I started testing I figured out, that problems still acure with the iemguts stuff I guess...gonna post screenshots after I have done some more testing...soon!

• Hey Marco.
    now here is a screenshot of the errors I am getting. I`ve tested that on Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP 32bit.

Actually I couldnt find the option to include pictures here, so there is a dropboxlink to it:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aom3xhb90n5ri9x/screen_xthsens_windows.PNG

you are not loading the xth-sense-lib, nor the default lib folder.

the xth-sense-lib goes either in pd-externals
    see: http://puredata.info/docs/faq/how-do-i-install-externals-and-help-files

or, if you can't manage to do what's described there (because on windoz is a pain), put it the folder you wish, then open Path in the Pd tab, and add the path to your new location. So Pd knows where to look for the xth-sense-lib and load it at startup.

the lib folder is by default in the location where it should be (which is the same folder where the Xth-Sense.pd patch is). So either you moved the lib folder somewhere else, or you are using a copy of the Xth-Sense.pd which you saved somewhere out of the original folder.

hope it makes sense.
    let me know

• EMooneyEMooney Posts: 4
    Hey. Bringing up this thread again, in the hope I could get a mail with that windows version if is still around.

I have downloaded PD-extended 43.4, and I have both the soundhack and xthsense folders within my appdata/roaming folder.

But I'm getting
    [import]: can't load library in 'soundhack'
    [import]: can't load library in 'xth-sense-lib'
    errors, and then a load more underneath that I am assuming are caused by the missing libraries.
    Note : I have literally never used PD before, hoping to use the Xth Sense within VVVV once I can get it running in PD.
    Hi EMooney, which version of Windows are you on?
    8.1 64bit.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Hey, an update :
    I moved the xth sense library and soundhack into the commonfiles/pd folder and it is picking up the xth sense lib now.

Still getting the same error for the soundhack one as above. But a lot more of the interface is showing up. No sound coming in though.
    Any ideas?
    ok, as the xth-sense-lib is loaded the interface is showing, great. For soundhack you need a little hack. In the soundhack folder, create an empty text file, name it: soundhack-meta.pd (make sure you retain the .pd filename) that file allows pd to find and load that library.
    let us know if it works!
    Thanks again for getting back to me and helping me with this.
    That worked for the soundhack import. These errors are still there, I assumed they were related to the libraries missing. But apparently not.

load_object: Symbol "shell_setup" not found
    shell
    ... couldn't create

expr, expr~, fexpr~ version 0.4 under GNU General Public License
    line3
    ... couldn't create

line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create

iem_image-ERROR: can not read header in C:/Users/emerm_000/Desktop/xth_sense/lib/../images/circ.button.off.gif, only 7 items read: GIF89a.
  • I'm also getting those errors on Windows 8.1 64 bit after the soundhack-met.pd addition, but after the last 'line3 ...couldn't create' error I have instead:

(Tcl) INVALID COMMAND NAME: invalid command name ".x2f7baf0.c"
    while executing
    ".x2f7baf0.c create image 901 776 -image 4047210PHOTOIMAGE -tags 4047210PHOTO"
    ("uplevel" body line 270)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel #0 $cmds_from_pd"
    Ok. Unfortunately line3 is not supported anymore, and I was able to compile it only for unix-based systems.

are you able to "find" all [line3] objects in the patch using the pd menu, and replace [line3] with [line] ?

while this is a workaround, both objects are similar, the difference between them doesn't affect the software.

the other errors you get refer to images that are used to show buttons, windows cannot find them for some reasons I never understood. But you'll see the buttons anyway and won't even notice the image missing.
  • Alf_AdriftAlf_Adrift Posts: 2
    Marco and Kieran, I have the same problem triyng to run the software, Simply I dont understand how the Dck does not show to me the edit buttons and the other displays.
    As I read its an error that ussually happens running the software in windows or I'm wrong?
    All this means that I can't get a workspace and the edit buttons, and all the buttons does not appear, also the virtual mixers.
    I followed carefully the instructions said by Marco in the previous comments, like making an empty text file named soundhack-meta.pd in the soundhack folder.

What I actually find when I open the Xth Sense software in the main window of pure data is:
    [import]: can't load library in 'soundhack'
    [import]: can't load library in 'xth-sense-lib'

load_object: Symbol "shell_setup" not found
    shell
    ... couldn't create
    utils.rec.mono~ recs
    ... couldn't create

expr, expr~, fexpr~ version 0.4 under GNU General Public License
    gui.bng.box Reset
    ... couldn't create
    line3
    ... couldn't create
    scale.lin 120 1 1
    ... couldn't create

( Among others)......
    The evidence that I could not get all the complete workspace and the button is showed in this

utils.gui.showpatch workspace_4 edit
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.switch~ /sw4
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.showpatch workspace_2 edit
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.switch~ /sw2
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.showpatch workspace_3 edit
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.switch~ /sw3
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.showpatch workspace_5 edit
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.switch~ /sw5
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.showpatch workspace_6 edit
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.switch~ /sw6
    ... couldn't create
    utils.gui.showpatch workspace_1 edit
    ... couldn't create

Dear MArco, can you reccomend me something to do? or just try to switch to linux??