To register and login, use your Google, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or OpenID credentials.

This is allowing us to stop most spam registrations. We've deleted most of the spam accounts that got through, and we're closely watching for more.

Puredatap5, building inside Processing?

conorconor Posts: 2
edited November 2012 in Pd Everywhere

Hi, I just finishing up a lot of research on Audio/Processing/Android for a thesis at the moment and have been reading a lot of Peter Kirn and Peter Birkmann's work. Assuming one of you see this, thanks for all of your writing.

I've just recently got Csound and Processing for Android working by updating the Csoundo project. https://github.com/jacobjoaquin/Csoundo (Not including update as of yet) Initially it required me to build through Eclipse but with a bit of tweaking of the pde.jar file I have it building with the click of the play button within Processing.

From what I can gather it seems Sonaur and Springs apps must have been built in eclipse with library dependencies etc. which I also assume is still the only way you can do this at the moment? I think I saw Peter Kirn post in another discussion noting that building inside Processing was not possible due to Processing not having implemented the ability to add Android libraries? Anyhow once I get my work in, and continue to work on Csoundo for Android in the coming months, I'd like to offer my assistance in getting a similar build going for puredatap5 as it seems unresolved as of yet?

Answers

• pbrinkmannpbrinkmann Posts: 686 ✭✭

Yes, we can definitely use your help! The current state of puredatap5 is that it works with Processing on MacOS and Linux; Windows should be okay, too, but so far none of us has gotten around to building binaries for Windows.

As far as Android is concerned, the problem was that it wasn't clear how to package native binaries for Android. Upon reading your message, I took another look and tried the most simple-minded thing possible, and, lo and behold, I managed to get a Processing sketch to load libpd on Android, without involving Eclipse.

That's the good news. The bad news is that it's crashing for now, but that seems eminently debuggable. When are you going to submit your thesis? No promises, but maybe we'll be able to fix this in time.

Even after this is fixed, there'll be lots of work left to do on puredatap5, so there'll be plenty of opportunities for you to make a contribution if you want to.

• conorconor Posts: 2
    edited November 2012

Cheers for the fast response. Thesis is due 7th December but no worries at all, its primarily about my work with Csoundo, but with quite a bit of the literature review going towards libpd and Android audio. I'm on the Windows side of things so I could definitely ensure its all working sometime in the future, and maybe even do the binary.

Yup, the native binary problem was what I solved. Also there was no way to place the .csd in the res/raw folder. As far as I'm aware pdp5 requires a pd file in that location too? Can I ask what your simple-minded solution was? Mine took a bit more digging, however saying that, there's really not too much to it, just took weeks to figure it out.

Ye hopefully I can be of some use in the future when I get around to trying it all out!

Also, I imagine by the time Processing gets through all of its beta stages there will be some ability to add libraries, making our lives a bit easier anyway.

• pbrinkmannpbrinkmann Posts: 686 ✭✭

The simple-minded solution was to just guess where Android binaries might fit into a Processing library. Processing keeps its binaries in LibraryName/library/{linux32,linux64,macos,etc.}, while Android keeps its binaries in LibraryName/libs/{armeabi,armeabi-v7a,x86}. I simply copied the contents of the libs folder of the Android project to the library folder of the Processing library, and that did the trick.

Pd patches for pdp5 go in the data directory of your sketch. I'm guessing that Processing will move the contents of its data folder to res/raw when packaging a sketch for Android, but I'm not sure.