To register and login, use your Google, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or OpenID credentials.

This is allowing us to stop most spam registrations. We've deleted most of the spam accounts that got through, and we're closely watching for more.

libpd + Processing and Core Audio (no Jack on Mac)

MikeSperoneMikeSperone Posts: 15
edited December 2012 in Pd Everywhere

Hi!

I can only seem to get libpd running with Processing via the Jack audio server with the class PureDataP5Jack I read that there was a change in July or August 2011 where you can use non-Jack audio stuff (linux Port Audio, mac core Audio, etc...) But I can't seem to figure it out.

I thought, from reading around the internets, that you would change it to simply PureDataP5... but I get: Cannot find a class or a type named "PureDataP5"

What changes would I make in the XYpad example to not use Jack? Thanks!!! Mike

Answers

• pbrinkmannpbrinkmann Posts: 685 ✭✭

Sounds like you have an old version of PureDataP5. Please install the latest version from https://github.com/libpd/puredatap5. It's slightly different from the Jack-based version you've been using. Also, it's quite new and very experimental.

• I get: UnsatisfiedLinkError: org.puredata.core.PdBase.implementsAudio()Z

even with the example patch... not sure if I missed something in installing the library, or if I forgot to uninstall something from the old version. I'll keep trying though

Sounds like you updated the pdp5 jar file but not the native binaries. First, remove any trace of libpd from your Processing/libraries folder. Then unpack the latest pdp5.zip into that same folder. Quite and restart Processing and everything should be up to date.

• :(
    Still no luck... I did you you said, got the same error, then I searched my computer for: pdp5, puredata, pd, and libpd and I deleted everything remotely related to libpd

I reinstalled pdp5, and double checked there wasn't anything else weird in there, and ran it again... same error. In Processing 2.0b7, and I tried it in 1.5.1 as well (same results).

I'm on a macbook osx 10.7.5... any ideas?

• I've been reading and trying different things, but still getting this same error.

It's hilighting this line:
    pd = new PureData(this, 44100, 0, 2);

and the error it's sending is this one: UnsatisfiedLinkError: org.puredata.core.PdBase.implementsAudio()Z

Any ideas? Thanks! Mike Sperone

• Could this be a 64Bit/32Bit processor issue?

I don't think it would be, seeing as how I had read you had done extensive testing on the mac os. I'm just trying to think about any and all reasons I might be encountering this error.

• I just built the library in Eclipse following the directions, and I am getting the exact same error... any ideas?
    Is there a file I could look for to look for errors? I'm looking in /src/org/puredata/processing/ and there is only one file: PureData.java is this correct? Is there supposed to be a /org/puredata/core/PdBase file?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hi again... Is the old version of libpd for processing - the one using jack still online anywhere... I can't seem to find it anymore

I think you can still find the old version at Gitorious. I really recommend against using it, though. It uses an old version of libpd, and the API is different from the current one.

• Thanks! I still couldn't get the new one working and I was using it in a computer science final exam. But the old version worked well enough that I got an A+ :)

Gitorious just links to github now. The only place I was able to find the old version though was in a set of powerpoint slides that Peter Kirn put up on some website after a presentation he gave a couple of years ago. He had a link to a "temporary" web address that still worked. I found it in a google search on like page 5 of the results.

I got a copy of your book through my school's interlibrary loan, but it came the day the assignment was due. I'm going to go look at that during the break and also try to teach myself a little bit more about compiling things from source. Hopefully I can get the new version working this week before I have to go back.

Thanks for your help! Mike

Congrats on the A+! Do you want to tell us more about your project?

For what it's worth, the project description at Gitorious links to the new version GitHub, but the code is still there: https://gitorious.org/pdlib/puredatap5/trees/master

• Thanks, I made a simple drum machine, with a picture of each part of a drumset and when you click on it you hear that drum... and there was a "menu" on top where you could click on a guitar and the drum pictures changed to pictures of notes and you can play a scale with guitar sound. And you could also play it with your computer keyboard.

I'm going through your book now, starting with RjDj/PdDroidParty. I had success yesterday getting one of my own patches to run in PdDroidParty :)