To register and login, use your Google, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or OpenID credentials.

This is allowing us to stop most spam registrations. We've deleted most of the spam accounts that got through, and we're closely watching for more.

I think I broke it... issues with firmware upload on meeblip micro

jamescjamesc Posts: 7
edited February 2013 in MeeBlip

Hi all,

I was planning to mod some of the easier parts of the firmware (switch allocation etc)... when I flashed the new .hex via a USBtinyISP v3.0 it appeared to go well however I noticed the file size of the .hex was massive so I figured I messed up something with the compiling (using Amtel Studio).

As the meeblip wasn't working I decided to flash the original .hex (sourced from github) until I could figure out what I did wrong...

when I flashed the original .hex the file sizes were similarly large and took a lot longer to flash than the example shows. Whilst the meeblip powers up, it doesn't appear to be receiving midi or anything....

what have I done wrong? I have copied the terminal output etc

Thanks for your help again!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

192-168-1-9:~ james$ cd /Users/james/GitHub/meeblip-synth

192-168-1-9:meeblip-synth james$ ls make-micro.bat make-se.bat meeblip-micro.hex meeblip-se-v2.hex meeblip-se.hex meeblip1hardware.eep make-se-v2.bat meeblip-micro.asm meeblip-se-v2.asm meeblip-se.asm meeblip.eep readme.txt

192-168-1-9:meeblip-synth james$ avrdude -c usbtiny -p m32

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9502

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done. Thank you.

192-168-1-9:meeblip-synth james$ avrdude -c usbtiny -p m32 -U flash:w:meeblip-micro.hex

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9502 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed To disable this feature, specify the -D option. avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "meeblip-micro.hex" avrdude: input file meeblip-micro.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (14674 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 24.96s

avrdude: 14674 bytes of flash written avrdude: verifying flash memory against meeblip-micro.hex: avrdude: load data flash data from input file meeblip-micro.hex: avrdude: input file meeblip-micro.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: input file meeblip-micro.hex contains 14674 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 20.03s

avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: 14674 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

Answers

• jamescjamesc Posts: 7
    edited February 2013

i tried using

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m32 -B 1 -U flash:w:meeblip-micro.hex -U lfuse:w:0xBF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U eeprom:w:meeblip.eep

receiving error

avrdude: input file meeblip.eep auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: ERROR: checksum mismatch at line 4 of "meeblip.eep" avrdude: checksum=0xa1, computed checksum=0xa0 avrdude: read from file 'meeblip.eep' failed

using eeprom:w:meeblip1hardware.eep instead i get no errors/runs through normally but again large file size etc etc

edited February 2013

I just tried on a PC and get the same thing...

C:\Users\Cassie\meeblip-synth>make-micro.bat

C:\Users\Cassie\meeblip-synth>avrdude -c usbtiny -p m32 -B 1 -U flash:w:meeblip- micro.hex -U lfuse:w:0xBF:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U eeprom:w:meeblip.eep

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.12s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9502 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

To disable this feature, specify the -D option.

avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "meeblip-micro.hex" avrdude: input file meeblip-micro.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (14674 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 3.91s

avrdude: 14674 bytes of flash written avrdude: verifying flash memory against meeblip-micro.hex: avrdude: load data flash data from input file meeblip-micro.hex: avrdude: input file meeblip-micro.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: input file meeblip-micro.hex contains 14674 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip flash data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 2.97s

avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: 14674 bytes of flash verified avrdude: reading input file "0xBF" avrdude: writing lfuse (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse written avrdude: verifying lfuse memory against 0xBF: avrdude: load data lfuse data from input file 0xBF: avrdude: input file 0xBF contains 1 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip lfuse data:

avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: 1 bytes of lfuse verified avrdude: reading input file "0xD9" avrdude: writing hfuse (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse written avrdude: verifying hfuse memory against 0xD9: avrdude: load data hfuse data from input file 0xD9: avrdude: input file 0xD9 contains 1 bytes avrdude: reading on-chip hfuse data:

avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: 1 bytes of hfuse verified avrdude: reading input file "meeblip.eep" avrdude: input file meeblip.eep auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: ERROR: checksum mismatch at line 4 of "meeblip.eep" avrdude: checksum=0xa1, computed checksum=0xa0 avrdude: write to file 'meeblip.eep' failed

avrdude done. Thank you.

C:\Users\Cassie\meeblip-synth>avrdude -c usbtiny -p m32 -U flash:w:meeblip-micro .hex

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.03s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9502 avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

To disable this feature, specify the -D option.

avrdude: erasing chip avrdude: reading input file "meeblip-micro.hex" avrdude: input file meeblip-micro.hex auto detected as Intel Hex avrdude: writing flash (14674 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 9.44s

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 8.44s

avrdude: verifying ... avrdude: 14674 bytes of flash verified

avrdude done. Thank you.

• meeblipmeeblip Posts: 551 admin

Hey James - From your logs, I suspect the problem is a corrupted eeprom setup file. Since the MIDI channel and power-up patch are stored in eeprom, if it doesn't get loaded correctly you end up with unpredictable behaviour. Email me and I'll send you a fresh copy of the eeprom file.

edited February 2013

it worked! thanks again - very helpful

would it be difficult for me to create my own eeprom file - if I edit the start up patch so LFO is enabled then I have a free switch for something else and can just turn the LFO by turning the depth to 0...

edited February 2013

You can edit the file in a hex editor. The MIDI channel (channel 1) is stored in the last byte, the current patch is stored in the second last byte. For Micro, the default patch is the first one, stored in the first 16 bytes of eeprom. See the section "MIDI Control Change parameter table" in the code for the order of the parameters. The 16 switches are packed into the last two bytes of the 16 byte patch - just flip the appropriate bits to turn them on/off at startup.

To generate the eeprom file for the Micro, I just edited the patch on a MeeBlip SE and dumped the contents of the eeprom memory to a file. As a result, there might be a handful of extra patches (each offset by 16 bytes).

• hello, I have been experimenting with the .eep file in hexedit for a while to no avail....

I was just wondering if midi channel 1 would be denoted by one (cause it seems to be denoted by 0A / 10)... is this some sort of bit shift thing or am I looking at it wrong?

The file format on disk is different than the raw format. 0A / 10 looks like a line break.

• phroggieyphroggiey Posts: 2

Hi, I'm having exactly the same two problems mentioned here. I had a meeblip micro working for a year or so, but I just flashed the .hex and .eep files from github (as above). I had the same issue with avrdude auto-detect thinking the .eep file was in Hex format, so I used -U eeprom:w:meeblip.eep:r to assign it as binary. But again, no sound at all. The LED's not even flashing when I send MIDI notes. I can't get it to make any sound.

The other issue is assigning MIDI channel numbers in the EEPROM. I'm not familiar with programming them and cannot (as I suppose jamesc is above) find where the MIDI channel data reside in the file. I'm guessing it's somewhere in this bit!! "3A 32 30 30 33 45 30 30 30 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 46 30 30 30 31 31 41 0A", before 3A 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 31 46 46 0A. Is that right?

Thanks a lot in advance.

• phroggieyphroggiey Posts: 2

Just realised it shouldn't be binary...