To register and login, use your Google, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or OpenID credentials.

This is allowing us to stop most spam registrations. We've deleted most of the spam accounts that got through, and we're closely watching for more.

Guitar tuner issues in xcode

zhaganzhagan Posts: 28
edited February 2013 in Pd Everywhere

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to this sort of thing so I may be asking a very dumb question but if ya'll could humor me I'd appreciate it! I'm working on the first part of the Guitar tuner example in Xcode and after fixing many of my initial typos I now am getting ARC errors like:

/Users/zhagan/Desktop/musical apps/gtrtuner/libpd/pd-for-ios/DispatcherSample/DispatcherSample/DispatcherSampleViewController.m:26:6: error: 'release' is unavailable: not available in automatic reference counting mode [3]

I'm not only getting that but I'm getting a bunch of those type of errors for the DispatcherSampleAppDelegate.m and the DispatcherSampleViewDelegate.m

I'm not 100% sure I have my framework exactly right, could that be the issue?

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• zhaganzhagan Posts: 28

Ok so I rebuilt the project from scratch again and now I'm not getting ARC errors any more but now I'm getting something different, libpd-ios -> 32 issues

The first error is in the SampleListener.h

import "PdBase.h" <-----file not found

Again, I feel like I don't have my file paths right.... If I copy that PdBase.h file to the same dir as SampleListener.h I get a whole different set of errors about a duplicate PdBase.h reference. I am probably just missing something basic in the configuration.

Anyway I gotta run, I have a show later at Spike Hill in Brooklyn. If anybody wants to see my new band, Zack Hagan and the Iona Crew, play we go on at 11pm, we also play on Feb 25th at the Knitting Factory Brooklyn...

Thanks all!

thanks for the quick response! I'll take a deep breath and try it again tmrw. I'll let ya know how I make out.

ok so I got your examples from github and it works! ok now I have to get mine working. Thanks, I'm sure I'll rear my ugly head around here soon.

So I did get the example GuitarTuner project up and running on the simulator, but I had a few files that were missing, like PdDispatcher.h -file not found ( GTViewController.h) PdAudioController.h -file not found (GTAppDelegate.h), as well as m_pd.h -file not found (fiddle~.c). Does this mean I have the User Header Search path wrong? I'm kinda confused because if I change it then my libpd.xcodeproj and fiddle are obviously missing. I did get the app to compile by coping the files from the objc folder in pd-for-ios to the GuitarTuner project directory and by copying the m_pd.h file from libpd/pure-data/src to libpd/pure-data/extras/fiddle~. Did I need to do that? or should I of just referenced the locations in the GTViewController.h, GTAppDelegate.h and the fiddle~.c file? Any input on why I had to do that would be awesome!

i got it... header paths. put the paths in above where you set the user header paths. seems to work well

• richreactiverichreactive Posts: 1
    @zhagan how did you solve this? i don't quite understand your response any chance you could send me a snapshot of how you have set up this bit in Xcode : User Header Search Paths? I'm pointing directly at libpd and also another routing for pd-for-ios folder and still have those exact missing file errors like you did 'PdDispatcher.h + PdAudioController.h' Both missing won't compile :( I'm at a loss
    hey @richreactive, the problem if I remember correctly is that you need to put headerpaths in the properties of the Xcode app that you've created project...

so select your program on the left, then select Target (your program), then select Build Settings and scroll down in that window to Search Paths. in that category you need to put in the path of libpd for example mine is two paths ../../../pd-for-ios/libpd/objc and also ../../../pd-for-ios/libpd/pure-data/src

good luck!
  • JoeyJoey Posts: 1
    Still doesn't work for me :( All libpd projects won't compile in XCode 5 for me.
  • AleaBoyAleaBoy Posts: 1
    Greetings! I, too, am having problems with this. I'm trying to compile the GuitarTuner app from the Making Musical Apps book, and it looks like there's a problem with 64 bit architecture. I'm using Xcode 5.0.2 and an iPad Air, I've quadruple checked my User Header Search Paths, and I've made sure to select "Standard architectures (including 64-bit) (including arm7, arm7s, and arm64)" in the Architectures setting. Is the iPad Air simply not supported yet? Thanks for any help. Here's the Apple Mach-O Linker Error debug spew, FWIW:

ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/bhouge/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GuitarTuner-atwibprkohmiqicuxbwfedchekmp/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/libpd-ios.a, missing required architecture arm64 in file /Users/bhouge/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/GuitarTuner-atwibprkohmiqicuxbwfedchekmp/Build/Products/Debug-iphoneos/libpd-ios.a (2 slices)
    Undefined symbols for architecture arm64:
    "_OBJC_CLASS_$_PdAudioController", referenced from:
    objc-class-ref in GTAppDelegate.o
    ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
  • sinewavesinewave Posts: 15
    Hi, AleaBoy did you solve this? I'm having exactly the same issue when trying to build an archive....just know it's something basic that i've missed somewhere...
  • sinewavesinewave Posts: 15
    Joey, what about you? Did you fix? Pretty sure it's got something to do with architecture settings, probably just need to find the right combo. See https://discussions.apple.com/message/25155128#25155128