To register and login, use your Google, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or OpenID credentials.

This is allowing us to stop most spam registrations. We've deleted most of the spam accounts that got through, and we're closely watching for more.

Pd suited for

alintzalintz Posts: 1
edited April 2013 in Pd Everywhere

Hi,

I am researching ways to implement a mobile app (both iOS and Android) used for people with hearing disabilities. After a couple of days of reading I arrived at libpd and played a little bit with it but I'm not sure if this is really what I'm looking for.

I am aware of the latency problem on android and I already began the pd tutorial. Also ordered a couple of books about pd and audio programming.

So, is libpd suited for: amplification, filtration of a background noise, peaks or a specific data model, triggering events for peaks or other model of data ... for example I want my music player to stop if there's significant data detected on the mic.

If not do you know something else that is? I don't want to write everything from scratch :).

Thanks!

Answers

• kapsykapsy Posts: 30
    edited April 2013

If you can make a PD patch to do all of the above then you should be able to run it fine on a mobile device using libpd. The only showstopper would be latency on Android - I'm guessing a quick response is quite essential for hearing augmentation. Bear in mind that Android latency is not a libpd specific problem - it depends almost entirely on the device being used. So from that point of view, whatever solution you use you're going to face that issue.

• pbrinkmannpbrinkmann Posts: 685 ✭✭

Like kapsy said, if you can express your solution in terms of signal processing, you can implement it in libpd; any problems you encounter will be problems of Android, not libpd. In addition to the issue of latency, there's also volume. Many Android devices limit the volume of audio apps, and so you may not be able to get as loud as you want to be.