To register and login, use your Google, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or OpenID credentials.

This is allowing us to stop most spam registrations. We've deleted most of the spam accounts that got through, and we're closely watching for more.

prerequisites to this book?

sidtbirdsidtbird Posts: 1
edited April 2013 in The Audio Programming Book

Okay so... a couple weeks back I created a profile on here and put up a question "baffled by T in listing 1.8.1"... that thread has now disappeared and I also lost my account. So.. I'm not sure if the site went down and was restored from backup taken prior to my thread, or if I got kicked off for some reason, perhaps because I posted a code sample against the rules. Anyhow....

I got a pretty good answer to my question in that thread, but as I continue on through the book, the more I get the feeling it's over my head. I thought when I bought it that since I know C, I could just sail off into the land of audio programming. I figured I'd need to review some math, but the more I look at this book the more I feel like I'm sinking. I read other reviews on Amazon from people who sound like they're in the same boat as me and are "getting it", but I keep getting stuck on the math. Not the mathematical operations themselves, mind you - I can understand exponentials and logarithms just fine -- its they "why" and whatnot, that is not explained in this book, left as an exercise for the reader to figure out for themselves. So what I'm wanting to now find is a more "remedial" audio progamming book or reference that is going to hold my hand through the basics of the mathematical representations of audio signals and the like.

Does anyone have any good ideas there? I keep scouring around and cannot find anything.

Answers

• YottaSecondYottaSecond Posts: 5
    I guess this response is a bit late, but in case anybody still is looking for an answer...

I've only read the second volume, but I would strongly recommend Gareth Loy's Musimathics, which explains a lot about sound, how we perceive it, and how to represent it mathematically. There's probably many other valuable resources out there, like Julius Smith's webpages for his classes at Stanford (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/)

But I think Loy's approach is easier for less mathematically-minded people (like me) to absorb than most.

I think there is always some degree of mystery here - there's something permanently baffling to me about why things vibrate the way they do and the seemingly magical nature of sine waves and why we need imaginary numbers, etc...

However, the learning process here is cyclical; you keep going back and reviewing the same material with new sources and gain new understanding each time. Questions you have at the beginning will be replaced with new questions time and time again.